Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Wisdom of Being Present

 

Our book group is reading one of my very favorite books by Barbara Brown Taylor called An Altar in the World. It is like reading poetry and is so full of wisdom and truth. I never read books twice - if I can help it. Rarely am I struck enough by images and ideas and story that I feel the call to read something over. I keep this book in my desk drawer like a holy book. This passage about Presence by Friar Richar Rohr speaks to Taylor's words and vision of living fully in every moment, of loving others....regardless.
paz to you.  

I suggest that wisdom is precisely the freedom to be truly present to what is right in front of you. Presence is wisdom! People who are fully present know how to see fully, rightly, and truthfully.
Presence is the one thing necessary for wisdom, and in many ways, it is the hardest thing of all. Just try to keep 1) your heart space open, 2) your mind without division or resistance, and 3) your body not somewhere else—and all at the same time! Most religions just decided it was easier to believe doctrines and obey often-arbitrary laws than the truly converting work of being present. Those who can be present will know what they need to know, and in a wisdom way.
presence here.

No comments:

Post a Comment